Have you done a spin in your Cessna?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie

I know that spins are not required to get your license for many years now. It was not required in 1982 but my instructor believed in making me do one so I would know how the entry to it felt and how to recover should it happen. It took him about 15 minutes talking to me for me to agree to it. I'm a nice straight and level type of flyer.

So we went to 1500 ft AGL and HE started pulling back on the yoke. That screecher in the cockpit was telling us to stop it. But he kept on pulling the yoke back. Then the air stopped, and the plane started falling to the left, and for a bit all I saw was ground. He was showing me to fly into the ground, and kick the right rutter and gently pull up. Dan was explaining all the way what was happening, and why you have to stay calm and cool in a spin recovery. He was letting me know if you pull up too fast you'll stall again way to close the the ground with no room to recover.

We did go out and fly more that day, but I will always remember looking straight down at the ground and flying the plane into it to recover.

This was all done at 5280 +1500 due to being in the thin air of Denver area.

That is great that you've done several. I think pilots that can confidently do spins and other maneuvers are great. I liked steep turns, and dead stick landing practices.

Hey, I'm not sure what you mean by a dead stick landing practice. Is it something that must be done while receiving instructions?

I've watched spins and read about them, but reading your account of it sounds as if it would be hair raising the first time.

Hi Thad, next to meet you. Dead stick means the engine is off for some reason or another. Flight instructors will reach over and kill the fuel feed to the engine and it will stop. They may start out doing it when at a good altitude and you have to immediately start looking for a flat and level landing place. And proceed to fly the now gliding plane to that landing area. The instructor usually gives the engine the fuel again after you are looking as if you're going to land.

Later on, they may do that same kill the engine while you are in landing pattern at the airport. This will hopefully allow you to land by gliding to the ground.

And occasionally, they will kill the engine when you are above dangerous AGL on take off.

As explained to me, they have to train you not to panic when something unusual happens. Most of the time a pilot will not need to use this, but that one time it happens, you need to keep cool and fly the plane.

I think you’re trying to ring our bell, Angie. No reasonably intelligent instructor would do spins from 1500 AGL, especially when the ground elevation is already 5,000’. Maybe this instructor has a death wish. The same for turning off the gas after takeoff or to sim an engine out landing.

Well the 1500 (the number in my memory But if my memory is incorrect, it was not much more than that. ) was above the 5280 ground at that time. (The altimeter would have been at about 6780 or a bit more). And he would cut the engine in pattern. But the engine problem on take off was an engine problem with the AP/Owner right after a 100 hour.

I think you’re trying to ring our bell, Angie. No reasonably intelligent instructor would do spins from 1500 AGL, especially when the ground elevation is already 5,000’. Maybe this instructor has a death wish. The same for turning off the gas after takeoff or to sim an engine out landing.
It is actually great training. I think my spins were at about 3000ft AGL. You learn mot to panic and you only have to buy new underwear once or twice.

when I was getting my ticket in 73 it was standard practice to do two rotations before recovering. In 85 when I took my night the instructor had a fit when she was first checking me out and I did that as it was now an INCIPIENT spin.

I think unusual attitude training should be taught, over the years the FAA has reduced the quality of aviation , Boeing is an example , where were their MIDO office OTL? as for opt spec schools? they need to return to what they were before they changed the regulations.

Hey, I'm not sure what you mean by a dead stick landing practice. Is it something that must be done while receiving instructions?

I've watched spins and read about them, but reading your account of it sounds as if it would be hair raising the first time.
It was. Then the second time it was just tense. The third one was starting to be fun. C182A Aerobat. Doggy going uphill, but quick going downhill. Spins were required in my day. Glad we did them.

It was. Then the second time it was just tense. The third one was starting to be fun. C182A Aerobat. Doggy going uphill, but quick going downhill. Spins were required in my day. Glad we did them.
There was a typo in my post. It was NOT a 182 of any kind. 'Twas a C152A. Some times I miss those flighty little kiteys that 152s are. But thanks for the compliment. :)

It took me some time to find an instructor willing to do a spin. I am glad I did it. It was in a c172. The spin in that plane is quite docile.

Back