Have You Guys Tried Locking Gas Caps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valdemort

So I just stumbled across this wild story about someone who had 15 gallons of 100LL swiped from their tanks overnight a few years back - yikes, right?

Has anyone else had a run-in with fuel theft like that? I'm super curious if you’ve tackled this with locking gas caps or other sneaky ways to keep your fuel safe. What’s worked for you? Any tips or tricks to share?

Locking gas caps are a solid first step, and you can even throw in fuel tank alarms or GPS trackers for that extra peace of mind. And hey, parking in well-lit spots or near security cameras? Totally a smart move!

Happened to me at an small 1700' airport I was based at in 1992. Stealing the gas was a nuisance to be sure, but it was raining all night and they left both gas caps laying on the wing. I was amazed at how much water came out the sumps. Stealing gas is one thing, letting water into my gas tanks was very bad bad. They were seen by a neighbor and later caught by the sheriff, ordered to spend the rest of the summer in the local juvvy hall and pay restitution. Parents balked at paying for fuel system purge and carb rebuild. 60 gallons of gas at $1.65/gallon + the A&P & parts. Judge said no problem and told them, he'd release them from their state charges and refer the matter to the US Attorney and issue adult warrants to hold them until the feds could bring charges on aircraft sabotage or they could pay up. They paid and the kids got to spend a summer learning about crime. I don't know how their truck catalytic converter faired as I had just returned from Canada and the airplane was full of 100/130 Green AvGas with lots of lead. Never had a problem since. I couldn't find locking gas caps in those days and I've never seen any since.

Back