What Cessna is often modified into a jump plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thad

I was watching a few skydivers the other day. I think it was a Cessna they were jumping from, and the right side was open for them to jump from.
I did not see if there was a door lifted up, or a portion of the plane slid back like a barn type door. I was not at the airport, so I didn't get to see when it landed.

Have any of you flown a private jump plane? What is the configuration about the door opening they jump from? What model/type is the best Cessna to use for a jump plane?

Do any of you jump, or fly jumpers?

I fly a friend of mines 1958 Cessna 182 that was once a jump plane. The door is modified to open upward and latches into the wing. We don't use it for jumping, but for taxiing on a hot day, it's sure nice to have open!

That's neat that you fly a retired jump plane. When the door is open and the breeze is cooling things down, do you feel any drag on the fuselage or will the tapering from front to back keep the air from hitting the door way.

@Jack Fleetwood - How many seats are currently in the modified Cessna 182 that you fly? I saw inside a plane about that size years ago, and there was only the pilots seat, so I'm wondering if your plane has had seats put back into it?

That's neat that you fly a retired jump plane. When the door is open and the breeze is cooling things down, do you feel any drag on the fuselage or will the tapering from front to back keep the air from hitting the door way.
I never fly with the door open, but in my line of work, I've flown with the door off. You do feel the drag, and it gets a little windy inside, but not bad.

Does your door automatically close after the last jumper exits the plane? Or does someone go up with you for the purpose of closing the jump door?

Back