Crazy idea flying to Europe on a Cessna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyrelle**Arienwin

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a bit of a crazy idea. I'm planning to fly to Europe on my Cessna. I know it's a long shot, and I'm sure some havebut I'm curious if anyone here has done something similar or has any advice.

I've been researching the route and regulations, but there's very little information. Has anyone here crossed the Atlantic in a Cessna? If so, what were the biggest challenges? Any tips on planning the route, obtaining necessary permits, or preparing the aircraft for such a long journey? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There should be someone from the forum members with experience flying in Europe. Let's see if they weigh in on this.
If none, I'm not sure if I've seen a specific travel kit for flying to Europe, but I bet the AOPA might have something. If you're a member, you could try reaching out to them.

Having spent my career over the ocean I would recommend an airline seat..
If you need to ferry a plane that’s one thing but if it’s just a crazy idea that’s a good name for it. There is no radar out there to find you just hungry packs of sharks. No controllers except on ARINC. You are on your own out there and anything goes wrong it could be many hundreds of miles to an alternate. Pin point navigation is a must.
Sometimes your destination is an island 3 miles wide . You will arrive over it with less than an hours fuel and if you miss it or weather is bad too bad.

I’m not saying you can’t do it but if you go you need a cabin full of fuel tanks which means special plumbing, survival gear such as a raft and special nav ability. Which sounds like more fun that or a first class passenger compartment on a triple 7 with TV and bed and dinner and drinks.The first class ticket would save you lots of money.

Never did it, but for giggles I checked out routes and ranges over a decade ago. From Fargo, up along the east shore of Hudson Bay to Baffin Island. The ocean crossing to Greenland is short, less than 50 miles via island hopping along the Davis Straights and the Baffin but that part of Greenland is nothing but ice for hundreds of thousands of miles. Down the south coast to civilization and then on to Iceland. From Iceland to the Faroe Islands and the Hebrides and on to Scotland.

But there are thousands of miles of harsh, frozen terrain, fuel pre-arrangements, few landable spots, let alone airports, and it's a long cloudy ice filled way to southern Greenland from northern Greenland. The weather is tricky, the terrain is misleading, think of crossing the Rockies in central Colorado only with bad weather and even more deceiving fjords going up the wrong one when you have used your fuel up. Over the water the fish and the cold will get you, as you float for a long time in your survival suit. Over land the Polar Bears are always looking for a quick meal. Never bothered to look any further.

If I were to go the slow route, my preference would be to sail through the Great Lakes, through the Welland Canal to Lake Ontario, and on up the St. Lawrence, then south away from the Labrador to warmer waters in the Central Atlantic, and across from the Windward Islands on the trade winds then back north to Spain or Portugal or into the Mediterranean in a 40 Bristol with a water maker, solar, new sails and a freshly overhauled diesel. Probably wouldn't take longer than flying a light plane at 180-200 nm/day, safer and more fun with the longest ocean passage about 2 weeks at sea. And you can eat the fish instead of the other way around. Or, there's always Lufthansa direct.

Back