C-38 AIRMASTER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C-38 Airmaster. S/N 412. Registration NC19459. Left the factory in July, 1938. Originally a photo mapping aircraft. 145 HP Warner replaced in the early 1940's with a Warner SS-165. Curtiss-Reed prop. Converted to 4-place passenger configuration in the early 1950's. I am the fifth owner in over 80 years, owned since 2012.
Yankton, SD.jpg

Bob Hartmaier
Central New Jersey
[email protected]

Bob, if you ever go thru Dubuque with your Airmaster, call me. I’d love to just sit in it, let alone fly it. I’m a good artist, I’d do a painting of it for you if I could fly it. But I’d have to paint wheel pants on it. I’m a former 195 pilot - about 25 hrs. Good flyin’ to you !

Hi Bob. It is always nice to see another airplane photo. That Airmaster looks really good nice to know it's background.

Bob, if you ever go thru Dubuque with your Airmaster, call me. I’d love to just sit in it, let alone fly it. I’m a good artist, I’d do a painting of it for you if I could fly it. But I’d have to paint wheel pants on it. I’m a former 195 pilot - about 25 hrs. Good flyin’ to you !
At some point the drum brakes were converted to floating disc style brakes. I have the original factory wheel pants, but they would have had to be modified to fit over the brake calipers, and so were not installed. At some point perhaps I or the next caretaker will convert over to modern disc brakes and the original wheel pants could be installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning the struts not being on that plane. I think that is what made it look so different to me. Very nice plane.

Also notice that there are no external brace wires on the tail, as well as hand formed fairings everywhere. The original model of the Airmaster line was the C-34, that first flew in 1934 and was in production in 1935-36. It was an updated version of the "A" model designed by Clyde Cessna in 1927. Clyde was a firm believer in streamlining for better performance. When his nephew, Duane Wallace, designed the C-34 he kept up that philosophy with no struts or wires, lots of fairings, and low frontal area. Cessna won the "Most Efficient Airplane" contest at the National Air Races three times. Cruise speed of 140-145 mph is the same or better than a contemporary Skyhawk.

Clyde Cessna knew what he was doing!! My 1977 Hawk XP is a smaller "182" in that it will haul anything and accidentally
I have been overweight by some 200lbs due to dishonest passengers and full 53gallons in the tanks. I truly wish Cessna had continued this model as who knows where it would have gone. Just say'in.

When your Hawk XP was overweight, were the flight controls more sluggish? And I would assume, that the take off was extended as it may not have the same amount of lift due to the extra weight?

Back