Cessna 152, flying early 1980s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie

Greetings to all. I am excited to see a forum about Cessna's. I was learning to fly in a 152 outside Stapleton Airport (many years ago). That is me and the Cessna 152 I learned to fly in. Did anyone else learn to fly in a 152. Maybe we can swap some stories.

I did most of my initial flight training in a C152 out of Missoula Montana in the early 90s. I bought a Maule before my private pilot check ride so I finished in that plane. Huge difference.

What were the big differences between the two of them? I'm really interested to learn more. My subsequent flights I was included on were with friends through the years and in various aircraft.

The Maule was an M4-220c so it was a tail wheel airplane with 220hp. So it was from low performance to high performance. The Maule was not an easy plane to master. None of my instructors in Missoula could fly it so I got some instruction from the guy I brought it from Then finished up with an old missionary pilot at Hamilton. The guy I bought it from was a Vietnam vet and kind of a wild man. He wasn’t easy on me at all. We were doing high speed taxi with the tail up in the air and going from one side of the runway to the other squealing tires all the way. He called it chasing snakes. When I got the hang of keeping the plane straight we moved on to touch and goes. As soon as we would get a little way above the runway He would grab the yoke and turn the plane around and we would land in the opposite direction. Take off that way and turn around the other way again. That way we can get more landings in in a shorter time. He didn’t want to spend any more time with me than he had to, because he was doing it for free. At one point he looked over at the sweat running down my face and said “this taildragger flying stuff is lots of work ain’t it”. Anyway not a Cessna.

What a great history of flying you have and that instructor sounds like a "character". I love the idea of chasing snakes since the nose had to have started up high, and you had to go back and forth to see the runway ahead of you.
About high AGL were you when he would turn you back for the landing after take off?

Hi Angie and others. I'm really new here and not sure I'll fit in, but I am really interested about you and the others learning to fly. I'm looking to take some flying lessons and if all works out, getting a pilot's license.

Did you pick the Cessna to learn to fly in or was it just what was available? I'm thinking of the Cessnas as I like the high wing aspect of it, so I can see the ground. And one of the 2 seaters seems less costly to rent for lessons.

Where I am it's only about 800 ft above sea level, so I would not need to learn about the high country like out in Denver area where you learned.

What a great history of flying you have and that instructor sounds like a "character". I love the idea of chasing snakes since the nose had to have started up high, and you had to go back and forth to see the runway ahead of you.
About high AGL were you when he would turn you back for the landing after take off?
Couple hundred feet maybe more , as the plane climbed like a rocket.

That is so neat. That is not something I've experienced. I know the 152 when the carburetor was set for 5280 ft when on ground, when it was flown to SE for a visit that 800 ft on ground, made a HUGE difference. I would do 3/4 throttle when taking off to make it seem same as when in Denver area.

I love the 150 and 152 because they are so basic and it feels as if one has simply strapped on some wings to go fly. They are just plain fun. I do agree that Maule, Husky Aviat, etc are probably way more competent for back country, but from a paved field, the 150 is like a basic old primitive VW Bug or Toyota Corolla. Simple and fun. YMMV.

Thanks for posting that @Denali. I'm still learning about the experience and that sounds like my kind of flying.

HI Denali - I'm more of a flat and level, Sunday afternoon type of flyer. So you planes sound good for that type of enjoyment.

Back