Hello from South Carolina

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, i am Greg and I trained on a Cessna 150 around 1974. I am sure I’ll mostly be lurking and enjoying the conversations.

I never could afford much flight time or a plane, but aviation runs in my veins as I grew up listening to my father who flew the P-51 after the P-40, AT-6, Stearman and Piper J-3 Cub. I do make it to Sun-n-Fun in Florida now and then.

Neat to see another that has flown but never was able to be the pilot and buy the plane. I learned in a Cessna 152 about 1982. Where did you do your flying?

That will certainly be a lot of fun for him. I spent a lot of time wanting to build a BD-5 and later a RV8 … and a few more. Lots of dreaming.
He already built and sold an RV-8 and a Lancair. Then started a Focke-Wulf Fw 190, which is about 3/4 done. Then bought BD-5 and Rutan Long-EZ projects that are slowly coming along. The P-51 has taken precedence the last three years and should be flying within the year.

Last edited:
Wow! Quite a builder!
I met him while taking flying lessons at 3J1 back in 2013. I bought a Cherokee 140 to finish my lessons and learn airplanes (A&P on helicopters) and lease it back to the flight school. After flying in his RV-8, the 140 went up for sale and I found a half done RV-7A kit that I bought and finished in 2017 (in my picture)

Nice. A partially finished kit purchase would make me nervous, especially id much was hidden that I couldn’t inspect.
I had some experience with various metal, welding and wood techniques so at one time or another I aimed my mind toward one plane design or another. I remember learning about the BD-5, Skybolt, Model 12, a 2 place gyrocopter, a Scorpion Too helicopter, DR107 One Design, DR109, various RV’s, Lancair, long EZ and the SeaRey amphibious plane kit. Never able to go farther than dreaming, I am now almost 70 and my dreaming has just become a solid interest in watching others fly and hanging out at Sun N Fun to watch the light sport aircraft fly. I try not to drool on any of the displays. ;)

I got lucky with the build quality of the kit I purchased and got a great deal on it too. My A&P and some experience with aircraft wiring allowed me to make the money needed to finish the build. I'm nearing 60 and planning to retire in the next 1-2 years, so I can spend more time at the airport and fly to visit friends and family, which was my original reason for getting my pilot license. The RV is the perfect plane for fast flying (180 MPH cruise), mild aerobatics (rolls) and still has a slow stall speed (~50 KIAS w/ full flaps). I'd live to build a small helicopter but I barely fly my RV enough now.

Last edited:
Back