N1904F - C182M

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greentips

N1904F Cessna C182M Birthplace & Year: 1966 Wichita of course.
Brief History:
Cessna kept the aircraft and used it for test and utility flights between 1966 and 1971, when it was given a final permanent airworthiness certificate and sold.
Bought 1990, TTAF: 1725, SFREM 225 Original Equipment: Factory OX, Factory Skylights, Standard Flight Instruments, ARC Dual NAV/COMS, DME, Audio Panel, ADF, 300 Autopilot, HSI/RMI
Equipment As purchased: Radios: KX-155 dual ILS/LOC, HSI replaced with conventional DG. 4 year old Imron paint.

Upgrades/Updates Since Purchased in 1990:
Installed 4 place intercom in 1990.
Replaced Cessna ARC ADF with Terra ADF-100 in 1992
Added Stormscope in 1992.
AVGAS 80 disappeared, the engine didn't like AVGAS 100LL, so Peterson STC Added. Ran mostly on Mogas after that.
By 2003, the engine had 2700 hours on it (about 1200 past TBO) and oil analysis showed wear metals. Borescope looked at cam which showed wear on a couple of lobes. Time for major.
Factory New Limit Overhaul in 2003. Engine Builder asked me how I kept the engine so clean. He got Mogas STCs for his airplanes.
By 2008 the paint and interior were looking pretty bad, so, the present paint in 2009, new carpet in 2012, reupholstered seats in 2018 (AIRTEX)
The mission changed in 2017, now requiring a 600 nm commute on a regular basis, with the local airports at destination having only RNAV/GPS approaches.
I found and had installed a brand new GARMIN GNS430W for the price of the used ones floating around, in the factory box, surplus at an airframe manufacturer. Ahh the wonders of IFR GPS navigation!
The same mission changed continued, making me wish I did not need a fuel stop on the 5+/- hour trip. Flint Tanks installed. Now 7.5 hours, and 900 nm range.
Next replacing the ancient Whelan strobes which had failed: Aeroflash LEDs, bright, and light. Gain of 6 pounds useful.
Electroair Electronic Ignition System adding about 5 ktas and fuel consumption at 11k down to 9.7 g/h. with a practical range increase of 45 nm.

The Big Upgrade, 2022: The Dynon Skyview HDX and PS Engineering 450B Audio Panel
After talking to my local A&P/IA, he decided I could install the Skyview HDX system. I learned a lot: AC43-13B (aircraft wiring) , sheet metal work, machining, riveting, FreeCAD and 3D printing for panel design work, parts chasing, and a new respect for avionics shops.
2023:
We replaced the Audio panel and every wire going to/from is now shrink wrap labeled on each end, after spending days circuit tracing. .
Then the flight instruments and vacuum system came out. The FreeCAD designed panel was 3d printed and test fit, a few iterations later, the files went to a local aircraft builder with a laser cutter and within seconds a freshly cut 0.090 AL sheet was ready for final fitting, power coating and installation. The Dynon panel and autopilot are now up and running and although I still miss my 6 pack of 34 years, after about 50 hours of cross country, 20 hours of hood time and a fresh instrument competency check and BFR, and reading the manuals, I'm beginning to see the potential of the glass panel. If I really want my 6pack back, well, Dynon does that too

Next: Replacing the 57 year old ABS interior plastic with fresh hand layup fiberglass panels and fresh coverings. But first a little flying, and a short novel with pictures on how we did it.

n1904fcropped0536.jpg

Wow! you do have a good history for your plane. Very nice photo of it at the end.

That interior redo sounds really good, and you'll be more comfortable.

Back