The Cessna 210

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie

I am trying to learn more about the various Cessna's and so I decided to research this one. I did not realize that only 575 were built. And started flying in 1957 but did not start being sold until 1960.

Reading more about it in various places, I see it is a 6 seater, so sounds like a big brother/sister to a 172 for cabin size.

Has anyone else flown one, other than Magman?

You mean the fastback, no suffix model? Yes - only 575.
But if you mean "all 210s" then the count is hundreds and hundreds more.

If sticking with strutted wings and fixed gear, the 182 is the next step up from a 172, and then the 205/206 gives you 6 seats like a 210 (since they evolved from the 210). I'm amazed at how much cargo I see operators stuff into the 206 up in Alaska.

I think all 210s were fuel injected and retract gear. Early ones had a wing strut but 210s lost the strut in the late 60s.

I have been on the hunt to move up from an Arrow IV to something that really can carry four people and gear. For that reason I have gone into the Cessna 210 market and dipped my fingers. I have flown Bonanza A36; early in life even taking one in and out of Ohare field. I find the A36 more comfortable in the rear for two reasons. First, the back row of seats in the 210 is claustrophobia at its peak. There is no way I would put anyone back there. Second, the A36 has a rear side-load door that allows great access and the 210 has none. I happened to find a good deal on a 210P and went have way across the country to look at it on a pre-buy. From that, I would add that I will NOT own a six passenger aircraft with a single pilot side access door to all six seats. I continued to look at 210T (I like flying high) and if they had a rear access door I would jump on one in a minute (well I actually am also not a fan of their retract system, so maybe pause). Vs the A36 I feel like I would need to get an older one to both get the turbo and useful load; in fact, probably the BT36 with the Baron wing.

The Saratoga (and for value the Lance) is probably a better bet than either the A36 or 210. Of course you want the retract and turbo versions. The other in the consideration set is the Piper Malibu; and I was super near closing a deal on one of those until I ran some numbers/terms on a joint ownership thing I would have joined as an entry point (it was the deal structure, not the plane that stopped me). The pilot/co-pilot seat are a little tight on the Malibu while the passenger area is sweet. The entry stairway is nice but we also get back to the single point of entry issue and now it is way in the back. So, I currently lean Saratoga/Lance as the best overall fit for my interest in a six seat but true four passenger/gear/full fuel aircraft.

I am trying to learn more about the various Cessna's and so I decided to research this one. I did not realize that only 575 were built. And started flying in 1957 but did not start being sold until 1960.

Reading more about it in various places, I see it is a 6 seater, so sounds like a big brother/sister to a 172 for cabin size.

Has anyone else flown one, other than Magman?
I've flown plenty of them, great planes. Don't make the mistake of looking at the early ones if you want a six-seater. The early 210s were essentially the first 182RGs. It was a 182 fuselage with retractable gear. They didn't get six seats until 1970 in the 210K.

Fleetwood said it right. Owned 1962 strutted for 14 yrs=great for wife and I and occasionally four with gear. Owned T210 for 22 yrs-loved that airplane. We never hauled more than 4 so front entry was a non-issue. With Gami injectors= 14.7 gph and 160+ kts cruise. Only sold because I retired (no income), were not flying longer distances as much and mainly 200+ hrs past TBO on engine and prop= $80-100K bill coming. Speed, hauling capacity and value=can't beat the 210.

Back